What is enlightenment?
Enlightenment has long been regarded as a state reserved for a few rare individuals, a state that can only be gained by living a recluse life in a cave or in a monastery somewhere. It has been thought that enlightenment is very difficult to achieve, requiring one to give up all worldly possessions and to lead an austere life. When he started teaching throughout India and around the world, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi proclaimed that enlightenment is, in fact, the most normal, natural state of life.
Every person of the over seven billion population in the world can experience enlightenment and unbounded bliss inside, no matter what their race, religion, or socio-economic background. This is because every person on earth has the state of pure consciousness within. We can think actively, we can think more quietly, and innate in the ability to think more quietly is the ability for the mind to be completely still. This inner stillness is a universal reality, and it is the one experience in life that is accessible to all, the one experience that can unify the world because it already underlies and permeates the world at its most fundamental level.
Author Ann Purcell relates her own experiences and those of Transcendental Meditation practitioners throughout the world. She lays before us the secret to personal fulfillment, spontaneity, inner peace and balance in way that is accessible to all reader's and truth seekers.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ann Purcell has been a full-time teacher of Transcendental Meditation since 1973, teaching Transcendental Meditation and advanced courses in many countries around the world. In addition, she has worked on curricula and course development for universities and continuing education programs. She has a B.SCI (Bachelor of the Science of Creative Intelligence) and an M.SCI from Maharishi European Research University, Seelisberg, Switzerland. She also received a PhD in Supreme Political Science from Maharishi University of World Peace, Vlodrop, Netherlands. She is the author of Tender Flower of Heaven, a collection of 120 poems, and also writes for the Huffington Post.
- Additional Information
Book Type Paperback ISBN 9781623860103 Author Ann Purcell Publisher Green Dragon Books
Customer Reviews 8 item(s)
- New Must-Read from Ann Purcell
- Ann has a clear and easy style. I loved "the secret beyond the secret". This book is a must-read for anyone seeking answers to the age old questions:what am I doing here? How can I make the rough road smoother? Why does God sometimes seem to hate me?
- A Cut Above the Rest
- A well written and personal portrayal of one women's lifelong experience with TM. I've read others like it but what makes this one different is the thorough discussion and explanation of the Maharishi's advanced stages of consciousness along with real world descriptions from people who have had these glimpses of enlightenment. She puts the whole thing in real terms without all the mood making mumbo jumbo you see in other New Age styled books. The one drawback is that it doesn't teach how to do TM. You have to get personal training for that.
- Ann Purcell once again is spreading her amazing gifts and generosity to light the way for us
- This book is a gift to everyone. It takes the reader on a journey to discover the extraordinary space within that can transform his or her life. The far reaching benefits of TM are being increasingly recognized by science. Ann Purcell takes the reader right into the heart of the matter, and helps them recognize their own divine self, discover their greater capacities, and ultimately, live a life filled with bliss. This book belongs to everyone. It should be in every library, bookstore, school, college and so forth. It conveys the true nature of ourselves which we all deserve to know!! Ann Purcell once again is spreading her amazing gifts and generosity to light the way for us all. With the deepest gratitude.
- Will Read It Again
- I enjoyed reading The Transcendental Meditation Technique and The Journey to Enlightenment by Ann Purcell. She does a great job explaining the unexplainable: like Maharishi says “How can you explain how a strawberry tastes like?” Ann takes you along with her into concepts like Bliss and God Consciousness with her candid personal stories and beautiful quotes from masters and poets. One of those books where I folded corners and highlighted most of it!
- Highly Recommended
I loved Ann Purcell's book about Transcendental Meditation. She is a very wise teacher, an old soul, and has been with the organization since 1973.
It is a truth that if someone stays with a certain path they have learned the fine art of commitment.....Ann has that tenacious hold unto the teachings and the blessings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. She inspired me to take the course by the time I finished reading. I am very happy that I did. There is
information that IS INVALUABLE TO THE SEEKER in The Journey of Enlightenment. I highly recommend her book. It is most enjoyable.
- A Beautifully Written Book
- This is a beautifully written book that will inspire, inform, and uplift non-meditators and meditators alike regardless of ones station in life. Why not enjoy. Highly recommended
- Five Stars
- A wonderful book, easy & fun to read. makes an abstract concept -- enlightenment -- understandable and attainable for all.
- Thought-provoking and Insightful Book
I loved this book. It's structured as part memoir/personal essay; part research on what well-known people have to say about meditation and consciousness; part poetry describing experiences of creativity and higher states of consciousness; and part description of personal experiences of Transcendental Meditation.
I've read quite a few books on TM. This book takes quite an original approach to the subject. It focuses on describing personal experiences of higher states of consciousness from many different angles.
The author has done extensive research into what well-known thinkers have said about higher states of consciousness. Many beautiful quotes from Emily Dickinson, Thoreau, Eugene Ionesco, Lao Tzu, and others.
The book also includes the most recent information in the field of neuroscience and brain research on higher states of consciousness.
A musician and poet, the author devotes several chapters to artistic creativity—particularly music and writing—as the expression of higher states of consciousness. Anyone interested in the arts and creativity will find valuable insights here.
Women's Liberation and the "sacred" or "divine feminine" are the focus of several chapters which study the unique role women play in raising society to higher levels of evolution.
The author is deeply steeped in experiences of higher states of consciousness and writes about the development of consciousness in a way that is highly understandable. I turn to this book often for inspiration. I highly recommend this book for anyone. I think anyone who reads this book will come away feeling inspired and uplifted.